There is always the option for getting the annual flu shot each year, and each season passes and some opt to receive the vaccine as well as some opt to deny the vaccine.
There are many PROs and CONs depending on who you ask, but when looking at the facts of this current years challenges, those options should only matter when they are your own.
1. The influenza vaccine can minimize your risk of getting the season symptoms or getting sick
2. Flu vaccine prevents millions of illnesses and flu-related doctor’s visits each year
3. Flu vaccination can reduce the risk of flu-associated hospitalization for children, working age adults, and older adult
4. Flu vaccination is an important preventive tool for people with chronic health conditions
5. Vaccination reduces the risk of flu-associated acute respiratory infection in pregnant women
6. The influenza vaccine can lifesaving when it comes to children who are at risk
The influenza vaccines cause antibodies to develop in the body about two weeks after vaccination. These antibodies provide protection against infection with the viruses that are used to make the vaccine. There are many benefits to decrease the risk of getting sick, and even studies that show the risk has lowered when receiving the annual influenza vaccine. Even if you get sick throughout the season, it has been shown in studies that you will decrease your risk and strengthen your immune when you do fall sick, but will decrease your risk of a severe illness or increasing concerns throughout the season.
An annual influenza vaccine is recommended due to the constant changing of the virus each year and the changes in the vaccine being given. This is why an annual vaccine is recommended to be received, but the constant changes are always being adapted with for the immunology and vaccination each season.
There are two recommended vaccine for the general population 6mo+, and a second vaccine for higher risk population and 65yr+.
Feel free to contact the clinic today, for availability or for any further information needed.
Travel Expert Nurse, Universal Travel Health